Before continuing with your application for an Oversize Load Permit it is important that you understand and/or
have the following for ease and efficiency when applying for your permit.
● You have read and understood the Region of Waterloo Terms and Conditions when applying for an Oversize Load Permit
Terms and Conditions
● The permit you are applying for only applies to roadways under the jurisdiction of the following Municipalities;
Region of Waterloo, City of Cambridge, City of Kitchener, City of Waterloo and the Townships of North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich;
● The permit you are applying for does not include roadways to which half-load(s) may apply.
Half-load restrictions may apply on certain rural roads during the spring thaw.
When a half-load restriction is in place, vehicles or loads over a certain weight class are not permitted to use the road.
Typically half-load restrictions will apply within the Townships of North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich.
Please ensure to follow up with the appropriate municipality for any half-load(s) restrictions;
● Permits to move oversize loads and oversized vehicles will be issued in 2 categories; Oversize Loads and Superloads;
● As the applicant moving oversize loads or oversize vehicles, ensure that you are aware of all oversize load requirements set out in the Highway Traffic Act.
As the applicant moving oversize loads or oversize vehicles, ensure to reference the Highway Traffic Act for minimum requirements,
and also ensure to reference exceptions to the minimum requirements when moving oversize loads or oversize vehicles while on a highway;
● No vehicle requiring a permit is permitted to use the right of way that is shared with or crossing over the Region’s ION Rapid Transit subject to obtaining an approved Superload Permit.
All conditions as per the Superload Permit shall apply.
● Before proceeding with your application, please ensure that you have downloaded and obtained the Region of Waterloo Standard Certificate of Insurance Template.
Please ensure that the Region of Waterloo Standard Certificate of Insurance Template has been completed and signed by your Insurance provider/Broker.
Click Here to Download Region of Waterloo Standard Certificate of Insurance Template
● If you require a Superload Permit, please ensure to have all required documentation and reports before proceeding.
This includes, but not limited to, a Traffic Management Plan, a detailed Vehicle Configuration plan, and a Structural review (if applicable);
● If you require a Superload Permit, the applicant must obtain a professional pavement/structural engineer or engineering firm,
licenced in Ontario, to prepare a route survey (Traffic Management Plan) and if applicable structural survey for vehicle,
load or any combination thereof exceeding 119,999 kg in weight. It is the applicant responsibility to ensure the firm is adequately insured for doing such work.
The report shall list all roads to be traveled, all signalized intersections along the route, show that all clearances are satisfactory (ex. signal heads, hydro),
any bridges and culverts along the route. In addition, the engineering report must include vehicle configuration and details with regards to the proposed load
and indicate that no constraints have been identified which would invalidate the proposed route. This must include, but not limited to, an assessment of turning movement
constraints due to intersection geometry, an impasse due to overhead infrastructure and any damage to infrastructure that is likely to occur when the load is transported.
The plan must indicate any arrangements to temporarily remove, raise, or relocate any identified constraints as part of the trip planning.
The Traffic Management Plan must also include a contingency plan should the route be impassable during the time of travel.
The report must be submitted to the Region for review and approval in writing.
The Region may share such information with the Area Municipalities or the Region’s ION Rapid Transit if required;
● If you do not receive email correspondence for your permit within the inbox at the email address provided, please ensure to check the junk mail or spam mail folders.